Umberto D

I found Umberto D to be an interesting film.  Though the story itself doesn’t really tell anything interesting, it was still a film that kept me interested.  I liked the fact that the person who played the main character was an unprofessional actor.  He did a really a good job in his role and it’s hard to believe that he is unprofessional.  He seemed to know which facial expression went with which scene and his way of acting seemed so natural.

The concept of the film didn’t really seem to show something exciting.  It really showed the life of a poor man who was just trying to get money to be able to stay in his room.  It also showed how a girl was pregnant and didn’t even know which one of the two soldiers was the father of her baby.  Both soldiers were denying it as well.  These topics are what can happen in everyday life, yet an entire film was able to be made based on these topics.

I also noticed that unlike other films, the pacing of this film was slow.  There were scenes that could have been cut down to a few minutes but instead, it was sort of stretched out.  For example, there was the scene where Maria woke up and started with her duties.  She was simply making coffee, yet the scene was a little over five minutes.  Why was this scene made so long?  I think it was to show how Maria was reflecting about everything that was going on in her life and how she really couldn’t do anything about it.  She was pregnant, she didn’t know who the father was, she couldn’t go back to her own home because her father would beat her, and she had no money to go anywhere else.  She was also trapped to stay in that house doing the same chores over and over and she really couldn’t do anything about it. She could have also had a feeling of worriness, because she knew she had to leave that place eventually yet she had no idea where to go.

So as I mentioned before, I enjoyed watching this film though the topic of the film didn’t show something exciting. It showed an average life yet the director was able to make a film out of it. I thought that was great!

1. jgreenfield100 Said,

October 21, 2011 @ 12:02 am

I agree with your synapses of the movie. I very much agree with your opinion of the acting of the movie, I too found the actor that played Umberto very talented even though he had no prior acting experience. I think that the scenes in this movie were longer than usual movies, because of the genre of the Italian film industry at the time. Italian Neorealism main point was to show the life of the everyday people. The scene where the maid was making coffee is reflective of the genre, in that the scene showed how tough the times were in Italy, especially when the maid had no when the landlady found out she was pregnant, and no husband to father the baby.

2. yeongbinkim Said,

October 21, 2011 @ 2:15 am

i agree that the topic of this film was not exciting but it was still great film. i didn’t notice that umberto didnt act before but he was really great. As you did, i also thought he really did good job on facial expression..
    thanks for recalling me the story and feeling of this film
    nice writes!

3. Pawel Forfa Said,

October 21, 2011 @ 4:22 am

The long takes on some scenes is what made this movie great in my opinion. There was a scene when Umberto was sitting in his room just thinking about the fact that he’s not going to have a place to live. I was amazed as well that the actor was a linguistics professor as well and that he was able to put up such a show. Maybe he experienced this life? Or maybe I’m talking out of my ass because I didn’t do research on him. The scene with Maria grinding coffee was long, but as she continued to grind it tears began falling down her eyes, clearly showing her frustration. As you mentioned there is no clearly defined point in this movie, it is left up to the audience to make their own moral of what the ending really meant. Great movie.

4. marvinb1228 Said,

October 21, 2011 @ 7:31 am

I agree that this movie did have a lot of stretched out scenes but i believe that it was to give the film a more realistic look. After all these films were made to show the hard times that the people of Italy were going through. The scene where Maria was making coffee did show that regardless of the fact that maria was going through this difficult time in her life with no support she had to go with her work because she really doesn’t have anything else.

5. sandra411 Said,

December 14, 2011 @ 6:03 am

i feel the same way the story of this film is not very interesting but i still enjoyed it for some reason. The actor/ actress picks were great enjoyed them very much ! The concept of the film was a little odd and somewhat boring the scenes should of been cut down like the scene in the bus when the ride takes like 10 minutes ! but overall totally agree with your take on this film good analysis!

6. free calls to mobile using skype Said,

July 31, 2014 @ 4:44 am

It’s a pity you don’t have a donate button! I’d definitely donate to
    this superb blog! I suppose for now i’ll
    settle for book-marking and adding your RSS feed to my Google account.
    I look forward to new updates and will talk about this website with
    my Facebook group. Chat soon!

RSS feed for comments on this post · TrackBack URI